Thursday, May 15, 2014

Fat Matt's Rib Shack- Atlanta, GA





We arrived in Atlanta around 5:00pm.  Not yet hungry for dinner, but knowing that this was our chance for the famous Fat Matt’s.  So, we decided to get ours to go so we could go for a run and work up an appetite.  This concerned me a bit because BBQ is always best when it is fresh.  One of the things that struck me right away was the hole-in-the-wall quality if this place.  It already felt special when we walked up.  The sad thing about special hole-in-the-wall places is that they can become commercialized after they are “discovered”.  And trust me, Fat Matt’s has been.  Four Rivers in Orlando is a prime example.  It started as a hole, and then people started raving about it, now its fallen prey to chain-dom.  The first step in that process was moving out of the hole that occupied the tattered wall. Then you lose consistency in the food.   Well, Fat Matt’s gets props from me for just having the guts to stay put.  The other great thing: menu simplicity.  When it comes to BBQ, options are overrated.  If you do something well, stick to that thing.  And that is why I call what Fat Matt’s has to offer simplicity, and not lack of choice.  The menu options were highlighted by a member of the Fat Matt team.  Speaking of the team, they were super friendly and helpful.  I felt welcomed when I walked in and appreciated when I left – that is a HUGE thing for me. 
There is a saying where I come from, “So good, it made me want to slap my Mama.”  Friends, this was Mama slappin’ good BBQ.  Doug and I almost always share our food, so I always get to taste a little bit of everything.  Tonight we ordered the chopped pork, ribs, rum spiked beans, and a small side of Brunswick stew (have I actually died and gone to heaven?  2 BBQ joints with Brunswick stew?).  My favorite part of the meal was the nice little, steady blanket of heat that covered my tongue.  It was the perfect level of spice for BBQ. 
Meats. The chopped pork was perfection.  I would love to know what they put on that pork shoulder because that was exactly how I like mine – vinegary, warm spice level, tender mouthfeel, and savory with a hint of sweet.  Many times pulled pork can be over-sauced and sticky sweet, but this was well balanced and had a little black pepper bite to it.  The ribs were outstanding.  They had a lovely char on them, but were tender and falling off the bone.  The smoke flavor permeated through the meat and they had a little bit of the sauce brushed on them during cooking, which gave them a nice caramelized crust.  If I am ever in Atlanta again I will definitely be back. 
Sides.  As I said in an earlier post, I have never been a fan of BBQ baked beans.  Fat Matt, you have changed my mind.  These beans were very good.  The rum added a sweet caramel-ly flavor, but they were tangy and left a little tingle on my tongue.  Plenty of onion and black pepper.  A very nice twist on a classic.  The Brunswick stew was really good.  It was meaty and smoky and had that perfect blend of BBQ and vegetable soup flavors.  The meat and vegetables were very finely chopped, making the bits and pieces almost indistinguishable from one another.  It was not as pretty as the stew at the Smokn' Pig, but it was quite tasty. 
Sauce. No sauces to choose from, Fat Matt’s keeps it simple once again.  One sauce, THE sauce.  This is most definitely a house made sauce.  It still had chunks of onion and tomato in it.  A nice zesty tomato base with paprika, black pepper, maybe a little red pepper, hints of brown sugar. Perfect.  I wanted to lick the little plastic cup it came in.     

My final parting words about this BBQ: Keep on keeping it real Fat Matt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment